Monday, August 22, 2011

Coventry Telegraph interview with Brian Azzarello

Coventry Telegraph's geek blog The Geek Files as an interview with Brian Azzarello about Wonder Woman and other upcoming projects.

Some excerpts:

"You just touched on something as far as the Trinity goes; there's no such thing as the trinity. That's invented you know. There's Superman and there's Batman and there's everybody else," he says.

But that's not the way he intends to leave it: "So what I want to do, I want to create that damn trinity. I want it to mean something."

It seems like this question always comes up to anyone who has written Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. The Trinity. How do you feel about the Trinity? And the answer always seems to be the same. "What Trinity? It's Superman and Batman, and then the rest of the DC Universe." It's good to see that he's interested in bringing her to the forefront (though, at this point, that is a generic platitude of anyone who writes Wonder Woman). But...

He then adds, with a little reassurance and a laugh: "People need to relax, she's not wearing pants. But it's not going to be a superhero book. I can guarantee you that, it's not a superhero book. It's a horror book."

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. It'll be nice to see a different take on Wonder Woman's adventures, I suppose. But a horror book? I guess we'll see how it goes.

I know Brian Azzarello is a talented writer. But I've also heard (extensively) that his superhero books are severely lacking. Having never read any of them, I picked up Superman: For Tomorrow and Batman: Broken City. I have faith that Broken City will be good, since Azzarello is well known for gritty detective stories. But we'll have to see how Superman turns out.

You can read the entire interview on The Geek Files.

No comments:

Post a Comment